FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

SQLGrinder doesn't launch in Snow Leopard

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Advenio Support Forum Index -> SQLGrinder Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: SQLGrinder doesn't launch in Snow Leopard Reply with quote

SQLGrinder will not even launch properly in Snow Leopard.

Console log entries:
Aug 30 20:31:01 iMac-20 [0x0-0x8a08a].com.advenio.SQLGrinder[4681]: JavaVM: requested Java version (1.5*) not available. Using Java at "/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home" instead.
Aug 30 20:31:04 iMac-20 [0x0-0x8a08a].com.advenio.SQLGrinder[4681]: [Deprecated] CocoaJava: com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSRuntime
Aug 30 20:31:04 iMac-20 SQLGrinder[4681]: com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSRuntime
Aug 30 20:31:05 iMac-20 [0x0-0x8a08a].com.advenio.SQLGrinder[4681]: -[NSJavaVirtualMachine initWithClassPath:] FATAL: cannot initialize ObjCJava. Exit
Aug 30 20:31:05 iMac-20 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[251] ([0x0-0x8a08a].com.advenio.SQLGrinder[4681]): Exited with exit code: 255
chapo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue too
khoker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: The root cause Reply with quote

The line
Quote:
Aug 30 20:31:04 iMac-20 [0x0-0x8a08a].com.advenio.SQLGrinder[4681]: [Deprecated] CocoaJava: com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSRuntime
is troublesome. Basically, that's the conduit that let's Cocoa (an Apple programming API) talk to Java. The Cocoa to Java part isn't, itself, troubling. The problem is that the Cocoa/Java stuff has been deprecated (read, DO NOT USE) since OS 10.4 (the beginning of 2005). This appears to just be a program that hasn't been worked on the a very very long time (the build-process would have spit out errors like crazy). Sad to, because I basically feel like I got screwed for my $60 and this application appears orphaned and hasn't been supported or developed any time recently.
GregChant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get it to launch in Snow Leopard by opening it using Rosetta: I guess the PowerPC stuff is still the same as it was in Leopard. To open SQLGrinder using Rosetta, Get Info on the application and check the "Open using Rosetta" checkbox under the General section.
pedro4ever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Same issue here... no launch Reply with quote

I have the same issue... it won't launch, and I'm not going to install Rosetta for one app. Frustrating.
sonur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on running SQLGrinder on Snow Leopard? It's launching in PPC mode, but none of the JDBC Drivers show up for me.
pedro4ever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: What I found out... Reply with quote

I emailed Michael, and got the following response:

Quote:
At the moment, I'm not sure if SQLGrinder will be able to work with 10.6 going forward. Apple removed all of the frameworks that allow Cocoa to call Java code, and I'm not sure if there is a workaround yet. It's possible that the product will be stuck at 10.5. I am still looking for some kind of a solution though.

I wish there were a solid work-around, or even a good guarantee from Michael that things will improve... but I'm not sure there is. I'll keep my eye on this thread just in case.
sonur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really worrying. Not a single comment from Michael anywhere, and the forums looks overall dead. I purchased this application before a few months and I like it, I didn't find anything close to SQLGrinder. You should at least change this part on your page:

SQLGrinder Requirements
Mac OS X 10.4 or later
JDK 1.4 or later

which is definitely not 'or later'
djimenez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of people use Java with Cocoa applications. It's quite possible, Transmission.app is a good example, Froq is another one (which even uses JDBC drivers). I believe the real issue is that Advenio has no intention of updating SQLGrinder.

This pseudo vaporware is evil, especially vaporware that you still charge $60 for.
visvam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, no response (even to email)? I would at least like to know if I should just give up on SQL Grinder ever working again or continue to keep checking this site for an update that addresses the issue.

As a paying customer that recommended your software numerous times, I expected the courtesy of an update/reply.
michaeldupuis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been replying to email messages as I've gotten them. I don't really have anything to report right now. I can't speak about other developers and how they are doing things. Parts of the application have to be rewritten, but given the time and resource requirements and whether or not it's even feasible, I can't say when something might be released.
khoker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Any updates? Reply with quote

Just a reminder that there are still lot of people, myself included, who would appreciate an update to bring SQL Grinder up to Snow Leopard.

If nothing else, please just post the source to SQL Grinder and let the community try and fix it. Considering most of us are out $60 it is, literally, the least you can do Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Advenio Support Forum Index -> SQLGrinder Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: